Agra Fort (sometimes called the Red Fort), was commissioned by the great Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1565, and is another of Agra's World Heritage Sites. A stone tablet at the gate of the Fort states that it had been built before 1000 but was later renovated by Akbar. The red sandstone fort was converted into a palace during ShÄh JahÄn's time, and reworked extensively with marble and pietra dura inlay. Notable buildings in the fort include the Pearl Mosque or MotÄ« Masjid, the DÄ«wÄn-e-'Ä€m and DÄ«wÄn-e-KhÄs (halls of public and private audience), JahÄngÄ«r's Palace, KhÄs Mahal, ShÄ«sh Mahal (mirrored palace), and the Musamman Burj.
© Copyright 2014 meriyatra.in - All Rights Reserved