V) TOGAF Learning Outcome: Enterprise Continuum and Tools
The Candidate must be able to:
1. Briefly explain what the Enterprise Continuum is
- The enterprise continuum is a categorization mechanism which provides a view of the architecture repository that shows the evolution of these related architectures from generic to specific, from abstract to concrete and from logical to physical.
2. Explain how it is used in organizing and developing an architecture
- Enterprise is the outermost continuum and classifies assets related to the context of overall enterprise architecture.
- Enterprise Continuum classes of assets may influence architectures but are not directly used during the ADM architecture development.
3. Explain how the Enterprise Continuum promotes re-use of architecture artifacts
- Enterprise Continuum promotes re-use of artifacts by managing an architecture repository which includes architecture and solution artifacts. These artifacts can be used as building blocks for future or/and current architecture development.
4. Describe the constituents of the Enterprise Continuum
- The Enterprise Continuum is partitioned into three distinct continua as follows:
- Enterprise Continuum
It is the outermost continuum and classifies assets related to the context of overall enterprise architecture
- Architecture Continuum
It offers a consistent way to define and understand the generic rules, representations, and relationships in an architecture, including traceability and derivation relationships. It represents a structure of architecture building blocks which are re-usable architecture assets.
- Solutions Continuum
It provides a consistent way to describe and understand the implementation of the assets defined in the architecture continuum. The Solutions Continuum defines what is available in the organizational environment as re-usable Solution Building Blocks (SBBs).
- Enterprise Continuum
5. Explain the purpose of the Enterprise Continuum (KLP 39.3-2)
6. Explain the purpose of the Architecture Continuum (KLP 39.4-3)
7. List the stages of architecture evolution defined in the Architecture Continuum (KLP 39.4-4)
8. Explain the purpose of the Solutions Continuum (KLP 39.4-6)
9. List the stages of architecture evolution defined in the Solutions Continuum (KLP 39.4-7)
10. Explain the relationship between the Enterprise Continuum and the TOGAF ADM (KLP 39.5-1)
11. Describe the Architecture Repository (KLP 41-1)
12. Explain the relationship between the Enterprise Continuum and the Architecture Repository (KLP 39.1-2,41.1-2)
13. Describe the classes of information held in the Architecture Repository (KLP 41.1-2)
14. List the three levels of the Architecture Landscape (KLP 41.2-1)
15. Explain the purpose of the Standards Information Base within the Architecture Repository (KLP 41.4-1)